Mark was born and schooled in Glasgow, before he moved to Edinburgh for his Undergraduate Medical Education. He graduated from Edinburgh University in 1998, and then spent the next 5 years completing his basic surgical training in Edinburgh. He became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2001 after passing his general surgical exams.
The next 5 years were spent as a Specialist Registrar on the North of Scotland Trauma and Orthopaedic Rotation. In 2007 he passed the Intercollegiate Trauma and Orthopaedic Exam and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
In July 2008 he took up post as an Advanced Hand Trainee, appointed by the Interface Group in Hand Surgery, in Oxford working with internationally known hand surgeons Peter Burge, Henk Geile, Ian Mcnab, Paul Critchley and Chris Little.
From January 2009 to October 2009, he took a further Interface appointed Advanced Hand Training Post, at Wrightington Hospital, working with Internationally known surgeons Professor John Stanley, Ian Trail, Mike Hayton and Professor Raj Murali.
Now Mark is based at Inverclyde Royal Hospital as a Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, with and interest in Hand and Upper Limb Surgery.
Mark has recently been awarded the Diploma in Hand Surgery (BSSH) by the University of Manchester.
- A review article, in combination with Mike Hayton (Wrightington Hospital) for the Journal Surgery, titled: The Hand and Wrist in Rheumatoid and Osteoarthitis. doi:10.1016/j.mpsur.2009.10.018
I have had two articles recently published by Hand Surgery:
- Broadbent MR, Bach OS, Johnstone AJ: In situ rotational dislocation of the trapezoid associated with carpal-metacarpal dislocation – A case report. Hand Surgery 2009 Volume 14, Issue 1 pp. 31-33 DOI No: 10.1142/S0218810409004141
- Broadbent MR, Stevenson I, MacEachern C, Johnstone AJ: Investigation of radio-lunate relations in normal and fractured wrists. Hand Surgery 2009 Volume 14, Issue 2, DOI No: 10.1142/S0218810409004323
I have also had another publication by Injury:
- Broadbent MR, Will E, McQueen MM. Prediction of outcome after humeral diaphyseal fracture. Injury 2009 doi:10.1016/j.injury.2009.09.023
- November 12th 2009, BSSH Nottingham: A Short-term Review of the Finsbury Proximal Interphalangeal Joint Replacement.
- January 27th 2010, Ross Hall Physiotherapy Department: Changes in Hand and Wrist Surgery
- February 5th 2010, Inverclyde Royal Hospital: Advances in Hand and Wrist Surgery
- February 12th 2010, Western General Hospital, Glasgow: Metacarpal and Phalangeal Fractures
- February 24th 2010, Wrightington Hospital: Surgical Anatomy as Applied to Wrist Arthroscopy
- November 12th 2010, BSSH London: The Use of the Electro-mechanical Finger Prosthesis in Partial Hand Amputees